When you leave a comment on our website, we collect the information you enter in the comment form, as well as your IP address and browser user agent string. This is to aid in detecting and preventing spam.
If you use an email address to comment, it may be used to generate an anonymized string (or hash) which could be sent to the Gravatar service to verify if you are using it. Your profile picture, if you have one, becomes public alongside your comment once it is approved.
If you upload images to our site, please be aware that you should avoid including images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS). Other visitors can download these images and extract the location data from them.
- If you comment on our site, you may opt to save your name, email, and website in cookies for convenience, so you don’t have to fill in your details again for future comments. These cookies last one year.
- A temporary cookie is set when you visit our login page to check if your browser accepts cookies. This contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
- Cookies are also used to save your login information and screen display choices when you log in. Login cookies last two days, while screen options cookies last a year. If you choose “Remember Me,” your login persists for two weeks. Upon logging out, these cookies are removed.
- Editing or publishing an article results in an additional cookie, which contains no personal data and simply records the post ID of the article you edited. It expires after one day.
Your data may be shared in specific instances, such as if you request a password reset, in which case your IP address will be included in the reset email.
We retain your data for varying periods:
- Comments and their metadata are kept indefinitely to recognize and approve follow-up comments automatically.
- For registered users, we store the personal information provided in their user profiles. Users can manage their personal information at any time (except changing their username). Website administrators can also view and edit this information.
If you have an account or have left comments on our site, you can request an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you’ve provided. You can also request the deletion of any personal data we hold about you. This excludes data we are required to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Visitor comments may be screened by an automated spam detection service.